Hey, guys! It’s been a little over a month since I’ve posted a blog for you all because my last semester of school has been so hectic. Nevertheless, I am back, and I have a good one for you all today!
So, this coronavirus has most of us feeling gloomy and depressed, and we are strongly encouraged to self-quarantine and practice social-distancing. However, it’s important that we don’t look at this as a bad thing! This gives you the perfect opportunity to practice self-care and do healthy things that make you feel good mentally, emotionally, and physically. Let’s jump right into 7 of my favorite things to do when practicing self-care!
- Eat a balanced breakfast: If you follow my Instagram page, you know I’ve been posting yummy breakfast ideas that are full of the things you need to jump-start your day indoors. When I eat oatmeal with chia and flax seeds and pair it with fruit or a nice boiled egg with some wheat toast, I have so much energy in the morning! Try eating something healthy for breakfast and notice the impact it has on you physically!
- Watch a TV show or watch the movie you’ve been putting off: If you’ve been missing out on episodes of your favorite show, or if you’ve always wanted to try out a new show, I encourage you to use this time to get into it — especially if doing so will make you happy. Mom — this one is directed towards you — take this time to finally make some use of that Netflix subscription! You’re paying for it each month, so you might as well use this time to find movies and shows you love! Love you, mom. 🙂
- Draw a warm bubble bath and relax: There is nothing like a nice bubble bath to relax your body and place your mind at ease. Light some candles, turn on some music, and treat yourself to some peace and quiet.
- Go on a social media cleanse: Sometimes, social media can be very mentally draining. Take a day away from the internet trolls and the negative energy online. Maybe you’ll find that you think much more positively when you do!
- Read a book: I love reading books, but life has been so busy lately that I haven’t had a chance to read as much as I used to. Put on your comfiest jammies and bust out a good book — it feels so good to get lost in another world, even if it’s only for a little while. Also, be sure to recommend some books to your friends and to your favorite blogger (me, of course, lol). I’ve been really into autobiographies lately! A couple of them I recommend are books by Gabrielle Union, Charlamagne tha God, and Taraji P. Henson. If you have any recommendations for me, let me know in the comments!
- Get moving: Just because you’re in the house doesn’t mean that you can’t be active! Look up some exercise videos or yoga exercises on YouTube and follow along with the video. If you have a Wii that you haven’t used in forever, go ahead and dust it off. It’s important to reserve at least an hour out of your day to move, move, move!
- Put your dreams and goals into motion: Now that we are at home, we have no excuse as to why we haven’t executed some sort of plan to make our goals and dreams a reality. If there’s a side project you’ve always wanted to do but you never took the necessary steps to do it, START NOW! For me, I wanted to get my blog going again since school has died down a lot. So, I made sure to execute a plan to stay consistent with my blogs and continue to give you content that will help us all improve ourselves one step at a time. I challenge you to think about what you can do right now to launch your goals and be productive!
Overall, staying in the house does not have to be miserable. Think of this time as a vacation in which you are protecting yourself from the coronavirus and implementing positive things into your life to help your mental, emotional, and physical state!
“Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort.”
– Deborah Day